Wednesday, November 10, 2010

Random Ramblings

I was laying in bed the other night trying to go to sleep, and I was thinking. The Thanksgiving season is upon us, I have already posted my "25 Things I'm Thankful For", and it has just really got me thinking of the so many things we take for granted. The main thing is, life/time. Sure we take our spouses for granted every once in a while, but then we wake up one day and realize how much they do for us and how much we appreciate them. We take our kids, health, homes, and so many other things for granted, but at some point we realize how much we really appreciate and are thankful for these things. But how many times do we go to bed at night, planning our day tomorrow, and never even think we might not be here tomorrow.

I really thought about that for a long time. I looked back on the day we had just finished to see if that is how I would want to leave things if something were to happen to me before morning. Had I treated my kids, and husband kindly. Did I make sure I told them all that I loved them, and made sure that I showed them and they knew that I did. Had I done my best to serve God to the best of my ability.

My kids aren't very kind to one another some time. So, the next day when two of them were fighting, I asked them the same question. How would you feel if these hateful words were the last words you ever spoke to your brother or sister. We talked for a while, I shared scriptures with them about how we are to treat people and make sure the special people in our life know that they are special and how we feel about them.

I hope that this thought process continues in my life, and I don't grow complacent again. Like a Ricky Atkinson and Compassion song says, "Live today like it's the only day you have. Yesterday is history. Tomorrow is a mystery, and only what we do for Christ will last. So, live today like it's the only day you have."

2 comments:

9ndhouse- Katie said...

Wow! Thanks for that post! That thought really brings things to light. I have often times myself, looking back at a hectic day that I was sure glad for a tomorrow to do better. We are not promised another day and I know I take that for granted. Sometimes when the kids are fussing at each other, I know I didn't have to teach them the bad attitudes but the way they handle themselves during the bad attitude is often a reflection of my own actions at times. Thanks for the food for thought!

Unknown said...

This has been my thought process ever since my dad died. He spent his last moments doing for others, and that's what I want to be said of me, too. I fail a LOT though. :(
Love you!

Our Move to OK

As most of you know we just moved to Tulsa, OK. We've been here almost a month now. We absolutely love it here. Our journey to today ...